Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Peaceful Time

I have come to realize that mornings are my time. My time to work on "me." If that time is disrupted, I have trouble with the rest of my day. I have been known to have a bad morning and have to sleep for the rest of the day to recover (yeah I know I'm not even close to normal - so sue me, internetz).

The first thing that works for me? Getting out of bed in the first place. Believe it or not, when I was unmedicated, I slept most of my days away. I'd sleep until about 12:00 noon or 1:00 p.m. ... then go to bed around 11:00 at night (and be exhausted the entire day). Proper meds did the trick with my body and I get up around 8:00 - 9:00 now and despite infrequent power naps (ranging from 15 minutes to an hour), I can actually make it to a 10:00 bedtime. Amazed? You bet your boots that I am.

Also helpful? Eating healthfully. I was never a fast food eater. But in my college years I loved cookies, chips, trips to Chili's (what am I saying ... I still love those ... :P ). And yes, having an eating disorder didn't help much in this realm because you have to keep your food in for it to help you. But despite my eating disorder - and this sounds kinda odd - I started changing the way I ate about three years ago. Nope that doesn't change the fact that I had an eating disorder - I was doing the same thing with healthy food if I had been eating crap. But it made the transition to what I'm doing now much easier.

I find that once you stop eating junk, you seriously don't miss it. You just have to take that first step. I said I like going to Chili's above, and I do - I love going to Chili's for a margarita and to share a plate of those nachos with L. And then I pick a guiltless grill item, not because I'm "guilty" but because I think they taste better than the greasy items like the crispy chicken thing. You get what you like when you go out, right?

No onto breakfast: OATMEAL. I missed it yesterday, and I realize today that part of breakfast that I love is being involved cooking, making, creating. I didn't enjoy the yogurt bowl as much because I just dumped it in a bowl, say "ta da!" ... lame. Plus I was suuupah moody. Yesterday was a surprisingly moodtastic day. Today, my friends, shall be better!

The oat-y meal today - usual with 1 banana, wheatberries on top, granola on top, a few almonds, and almond butter in a spoon. Put me in such a great mood.


And of course my dear cup o' joe. I've decided that I prefer a lighter creamers (like hazelnut) instead of dark (like chocolate). I use about a TBSP of that and then the rest is soy or almond milk (which I am out of and need to get more of ... that stuff = YUM).


Am off to counseling today - I have some stuff I'd like to talk with B about so I am ready!

~ M

No comments:

Post a Comment