Saturday, February 26, 2011

Apple Experimentation

Most of my life, I have hated apples. I still hate apple juice with a passion. But as a kid and until about half a year ago, I wouldn't *touch* the fruit. No sir, no how.

That changed one day when I met the honey crisp variety one fall when my mom baked an apple cake made by Civil War ladies ... I couldn't pass up a piece of history, and I fell in love.

So I started trying apples - I still stay away from the really juicy, too sweet Red Delicious at the store, but most other varieties are game (who knew there were so many apples?!). My favorites so far are the really flavorful ones that are gently sweet and not terribly juicy like the Jazz, the Honey Crisp, and the Pacific Rose ... you know, the ones that cost $2.00 a lb. But if I buy the 3 for a dollar ones that taste like nothing, they just sit there and I don't eat them. Sorry, Gala. I'm just not a huge fan!

Today I am out of bananas (I'm starting to use just organic - they last longer and just taste fresher ... worth that $1 more a lb) and decided to use a Pacific Rose in my oatmeal instead of a banana. It was an yummy experiment indeed.


- Quaker oats 1/3 C
- a teaspoon of chia on top
- about 1/2 of a Pacific Rose Apple (I ate the rest)
- nutmeg, cinnamon, pinch of salt, vanilla
- 1/4 C Cascadian Chocolate O's on top (cuz apples and chocolate = YUM)
- spoonful of almond butter


Next up on my list for oatmeal? Pear. :P

~ M

No comments:

Post a Comment