Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Mexican Cornbread

Tonight I begin my baking/cooking adventures. My first recipe is an easy "oldie but goodie": Mexican Cornbread. My mom gleaned this recipe from a college roommate back in the 1970's (and the roommate got it from a childhood friend who said her mom made it for her as a child! Cool story). Totally vintage, right? But it's relatively healthy, especially if you use lean beef. I'm sure you could add other ingredients like various veggies (zucchini or tomato would be awesome!).




Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb ground beef (I do a pound) - browned
- 1 C cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 C milk
- 1/2 C cooking oil
- 1/2 onion (I omit)
- 3 jalapenos (I use canned but you can easily omit)
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1/2 lb cheese (Velveeta works wonderfully)

Directions: Mix all together and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

See? Easy peasy! I'm a novice at cooking, so if I can make this, you can too! :)


A little soy/dairy mix to drink.

We rode horses this afternoon (second time for me today!); I took most of the pictures, and my sis and L rode since I wore the wrong shoes this morning and now have awful "ankle burn" from the saddle. I didn't ride too much this afternoon but instead took some pictures.


See my cackling face peeping in the left corner? Proof I rode Phoenix today! The only pic I'm in out of about 70 that were on my camera.


L on Flashy.


Handsome boys. This is my fav pic of the day.
I'm having a raspberry popsicle now. I forgot to take a picture. I think I like raspberry, strawberry, and grape Dreyer's so far - tangerine isn't my fav.

Have a great one!

~ M

No comments:

Post a Comment